Pest infestation is not uncommon during the winter as rodents, mice, cockroaches, and other small critters seek warmth, food, and protection from the cold weather – things that are readily available in your house. However, there are things you can do to make your place less appealing to these unwanted guests.
Related Article: Should I Worry About Rats, Mice, and Cockroaches During the Winter?
Continue reading below to learn about the most common winter pests and some easy hacks to prevent them from taking hold of your home.
Rats and Mice
These creatures carry many diseases, including leptospirosis, salmonella, hantavirus, tularemia, just to name a few. That’s why you should make every effort to prevent them from entering your home through these tips and tricks:
- Caulk and seal cracks and gaps in your wall, around pipes and wires that enter your home, and around windows and doors.
- Trim shrubs, trees, and other vegetation so nothing “touches” your foundation.
- Remove clutter in your yard where they can seek shelter.
- Eliminate all possible food sources; use air-tight trash bins.
- Call the pros if you see signs of infestation (gnawed wires and droppings).
These blood-sucking pests are notoriously hard to control through DIY methods, so your best bet is to hire a professional pest control company that uses multiple strategies to eliminate the infestation for good.
However, you can still do your part to reduce their population through these tips and tricks:
- Vacuum the affected area every day. Just make sure that you immediately seal and dispose of the vacuum bag.
- Eliminate clutter where bed bugs can seek shelter.
- Seal cracks using caulk to eliminate their hiding spots.
- Keep your bed away from the wall, and don’t let your bedding touch the floor.
- Wash beddings and clothing regularly.
- Use hot steam to kill bed bugs hiding in the nooks and crevices of infested furniture.
Winged Carpenter Ants
Often confused with termites, winged carpenter ants have a narrow waist, bent antennae, and dark-colored bodies. But just like their look-alike, they are also hard to control and are destructive since they chew chambers and tunnels within the wood.
The best way to get rid of these pests is to find and destroy the colony using a bait made of any sweet substance like honey with borax powder. Professional pest control companies also use insecticidal dust formulated to target carpenter ants; this chemical is injected into the areas where the insects are nesting.
While cockroaches are highly adaptable insects that thrive in different environments, they cannot survive in cold temperatures. As a result, they seek shelter in warm places like homes, offices, restaurants, etc., as the temperature drops.
If there is a severe infestation (which calls for a professional pest control company), it takes about two weeks for all the cockroaches to be flushed out. In some cases, two treatments spaced weeks apart are necessary to eliminate the problem for good.
- 6 Reason Why Pest Be Gone is your Pest Control Service of Choice
- Seven Questions You Must Ask Any Pest Control Service Provider
- Common Mistakes You Need to Avoid When Hiring a Pest Control Contractor
- Most Common Pest Control Myths
Easy Pest Control Hacks this Coming Winter
Despite your best efforts to prevent pests from entering your home, the likelihood of infestation still depends on your surroundings (including your neighbors). Nevertheless, there are ways to make your house less appealing to wintering pests, such as removing clutter in your yard, keeping firewood away from your home, etc.
If you have a pest infestation or want to protect your home against disease-carrying mice, rats, and other pests, contact Pest Be Gone.
Pest Be Gone is one of the leading pest control experts in Rocklin, California. The company is known for using eco-friendly treatments that have no or very little impact on the environment, plus they specialize in treating homes, restaurants, and business establishments.